How negative marking is done in various sections of PTE
As we all know, PTE is the simplest test for those who want to go aboard for further studies. But there is negative marking in various sections of PTE. In this blog, we are going to discuss how negative scoring is done in PTE. Some of the modules having negative marking are listed below:
1. Reading multiple choice choose multiple answers: In this question, there is a paragraph of 200-300 words. Below the paragraph, there is a question. There are 5 to 6 options given out of which 2 or 3 options are correct, you have to choose correct ones. You will be scored 1 for each write answer. Negative marking is done as follow:
- Suppose there are 2 correct options. If you choose both the options correctly, your score will be 2.
- If you choose one correct option and one option left unattempted then your score will be 1.
- If you give one correct and one incorrect answer your score will be 0.
2. Listening multiple choice choose multiple answers: In this question, there is an audio for 60 to 90 seconds. Again, there is a question. There are 5 to 6 options are given out of which 2 or 3 options are correct, you have to choose correct ones. Scoring is done the same as reading multiple choice questions with more than one correct option.
3. Listening: Fill in the blanks: In this section of PTE listening, there will be audio for which there is a transcript. Some of the words are missing in the given transcript. You have to listen carefully what the speaker is saying. Write down the word on the erasable notepad that the speaker has said in the audio. After audio finishes, type what you have written. Negative, marking in Listening fill in the blanks is done as follow:
- If you type a correct answer, you will be scored one for your correct answer.
- In case, if one or more blanks are filled incorrectly, partial credit scoring applies for correct spellings. Thus, it will affect the scoring of listening and writing.
- For spelling mistakes in listening fill in the blanks. Marks are deducted from the writing module.
4. Listening highlight incorrect words: The question of this section of listening is the same as listening fill in the blanks. There is an audio and a transcript but instead of missing words, there are multiple incorrect words. You have to choose such words from the transcript. To highlight the particular word, click on the word that you think is incorrect according to audio. Make sure that you hear the words correctly as it is the easiest part of PTE. Scoring is done as follow:
- Suppose there are 6 incorrect words in the given transcript. If you select all the answers correctly your score will be 6.
- One mark is deducted for each incorrect selection.
5. Write from dictation: In this part of listening, there is a recording of a sentence. The number of words in each sentence may vary. Listen to the sentence very carefully; also you can note the sentence simultaneously. Scoring of write from dictation:
- There is one mark for each correct word.
- If there is any spelling mistake in the sentence, marks are reduced from the writing section.
- There is no marking for extra word or wrong word in listening.